Monday, September 17, 2012

Job Offer

It's been a while and there's a reason.  Not a good one, but a reason nonetheless.  I got a job offer.  My girlfriend who owns her own place about 2 hours from here offered me a job running her place.

I'm pretty much running The Business as it is, but she's offering me enough so I could retire these much over-used hands.  Her place employs 8 girls and does way more business than we do.  They have a great location much closer to Philly, and their rates and door fee are higher than ours.  Basically I could make the same just managing the place, without having to get my hands dirty (pun totally intended).  

So why the change of heart now?  It's not like I don't care about The Business.  In fact, I probably care about this damn place way more than I should.  It's just that with all that's happened with Audrey and Derek and everything else, I've been considering wiping the slate clean.  And yes, I'm talking about a complete change including moving and everything.  

Don't worry - I'll probably keep blabbing about the business, it'll just be a new business.  

I haven't done anything yet, but I am seriously thinking about taking her up on the offer.  We go way back and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for her.  She's just been having trouble keeping an eye on her place due to some personal drama of her own.  My only concern is that once she gets her shit together, she'll want to come back and take over.  I mean, it's not like I can go over there for a year or so, then come back here and pick up my life where I left off.

So now I have a lot to think about.  What I really want to do is manage my own tanning place, but instead I've become this sort of massage parlor management consultant.  

I'm not saying I'm a great manager or anything, but I'm currently researching whether I can get a government bailout.  

CJ


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great you got a job offer but I understand it's a really tricky decision. Perhaps if you can negotiate a formal managerial contract it might make for a stable job. Then you can at least have a "legit" job experience on your resume if you do decide to go clean or do something else in the future.

Wish you the best!

Anonymous said...

Yeah think this through your only going to be given so many chances in life, its the risks that you take that make you who you are. I've been reading ur blog for about a year and it has helped me with making decisions in life, Seeing how you deal with whatever is thrown at you and how you deal with it. If I were you I would Persue the Tanning salon and start a new chapter in your life.

Anonymous said...

CJ, you are at one of the cross roads in your life and now must decide which road to take. I believe a person grows when they leave their comfort zone.

I believe you need a change in your life and think you should go for it while you're young. No risk...no reward...

Anonymous said...

Just remember, when parlors get busted, the girls get a slap on the wrist, but the boss is the one who gets jail or a hefty fine. The girls are generally judged to be engaged in prostitution, while the boss (you, in this case) is most often found guilty of pimping -- a much more serious offense when it comes to fines/jail. Something to think about...

As long as you keep writing, though, do what, in the end, feels right to you.

Advizor54 said...

Take the job, keep the place as legit as you can, buy the space next door, open up your tanning salon, and invite us all over for the grand opening. you are a risk taker, and a loyal friend, this is the time when you can show off both sides of you!

Solterre_man said...

It seems as though the opportunity presented itself in a way that is making you assess your personal goals. That is always a good thing! :0) Perhaps by taking the leap it will lead to an unforseen opportunity to pursue your desire to manage a tanning business. Regardless, taking the time to plot out your path will benefit you immensely.

And as far as a bailout goes, I'm fairly certain that if your expertise doesn't qualify under "stimulus", then by God nothing should! :0)

Anonymous said...

DO IT. You'll be forever sorry you didn't and have constant what-ifs running through your mind. Trust me, I've been there.

Anonymous said...

I think you should do it, just because lately (judging from your blog) you don't seem to be enjoying yourself as much as you used to so a breath of fresh air may be just what you need. Even if it's only for a year it gives you enough time to get a bit of an outside perspective on things on the Business and what you wanna do. But yeah, keep in mind what anon said about the law being stricter on the bosses. But you could set a new trend for hygienic almost-legit massage parlours! ;D

cjs biggest fan said...

Cj,
Sheila has been offering you jobs for years, but you to consider her offers only when shit has hit the fan.

Last time you wrote about her offering you a job was way back in 09 (at least thats the last i recall you talking about it). If i recall correctly (and i usually do...) you did not take the job for two main reasons. One, sheila's place is full service. It looks, feels and smells like a brothel. Two, sheila's place is wayyyyy out in outer space (ie. Over an hour from your house).

And... You have said that you love where you live now. Why give that up just to manage a whore house?

Clearly, some serious shit has happened in the past few weeks. You owe us some stories!